Thursday, December 4, 2014

Week Eight- Ethics and Representation



I’ve always wanted to watch Persepolis, so I was thrilled when I got the opportunity to do so. I think Marjane Satrapi is very successful in challenging the stereotypes in Persepolis. One of my favorite parts is when she yells at those girls making fun of her in the booth for being who she is and she’s proud of it. People really just need to get over themselves.  She constantly stood up for her self and her culture, women’s rights. Like I guess I don’t have a favorite part because I love the whole film itself, its like one big scene to me. It sort of feels like I grew up with her because we watched her grow up and go threw traumas and survive. We watched her learn things and learned them with her.

It was really well written and directed. Iv read some of the comic  and I think the film translated it well, almost word for word and scene for scene. I think the part that struck me the most, not saying it was my favorite part-but its definitely stood out, was when her grandmother got angry at her for getting that man in trouble for ‘harassing her’ and arrested. At the time it did not strike me as a bad thing, in fact I was like “yeah girl! Whoo!” “he was an ass!”, but when the grandmother got so angry with her it made me question why it was so bad. He didn’t really deserve to be arrested for such a petty thing. I think I only thought that way because I am around the same age as she was portrayed and would have reacted the same way….probably.




No comments:

Post a Comment